More dual enrollment opportunities should be available in fine arts

It brought me great happiness to receive word that next year Chapman High School will have a Theater 4 Dual Credit option for the 2023-2024 semester. I am very excited for students who will have the privilege of taking it, and can’t wait to see how the fine arts evolve in the future. 

For years, Chapman students have enrolled in dual credit classes to boost their GPAs, earn college credit, and preview what subjects will look like, and how to adjust to learning and studying them, for college. There are dual credit options for all four core subjects, as well as some electives.

Chapman is well-known for the professional and entertaining work from their fine arts. They thrive with the amazing concerts, memorable shows, trophies and awards. 

Students work hard to improve their talents and skills and some plan to continue in college. I’ve heard a great variety of upperclassmen who are involved in fine arts say they want to profit off their instrument, talent or art in the future. Some want to professionally study a fine art in college or participate in that fine art after high school. 

Whatever the case is, a dual-credit option for that fine arts would be very beneficial for students who look to achieve their dreams. It will give them a head start to their goals for the future, an advanced education and time to really decide if their fine arts is something to continue through college. And even if they don’t, electives for college are existent, and it would still be a big help for students going to college for non-fine art related things. 

The fine arts have continued to grow in popularity as students and parents realize that with consistency and talent, scholarships and opportunities can be received. A dual-credit opportunity is just another push for growth in the fine arts. 

Assuming many students will work hard and pass, dual enrollment would be a wonderful addition to advanced courses. It is understandable that there will be some not cut out for the level of work it takes to pass a dual-credit course, and for some it may not be. 

That’s true with every class at all levels, and it’s still good to look into to show students what college level classes for the fine arts looks like, it’s a preparation at its finest.

In the end, it just depends on approval and the teacher. Not every teacher will be qualified to teach dual credit, and unfortunately not all teachers will be willing. It is just an idea that would give students a hand.