Dawkins encourages students to play chess

In a game where focus and concentration are the most important virtues for success, you would find it ironic to teach to fast-paced, in-the-moment high school students.

But Chapman High School Principal Ty Dawkins has always been open to new ideas and innovations for the school and community.

This time, he strives for students coming together and proposing a school chess club, which would open the door for more students to get involved in a school activity.

“Exposure is the key to students, faculty and staff becoming knowledgeable about the game of chess,” Dawkins said.

He would like students to learn about the basic rules and concept of chess and also gain academic and social benefits from playing it.

Dawkins is ecstatic about the many different ways that chess can improve a student’s performance and behavior in school and out of school.

Chess can help students focus and can help strengthen visualization skills.

Dawkins used to be an avid chess player, and he said it taught him to read the body language of other players, which he transferred to his professional environment.

If the idea turns out to be a success, Dawkins has confidence that other schools could get in on the action and start their own chess clubs, which means that the schools could host chess tournaments and matches between each other.

For this to happen, students that want to be involved in the chess club would have to find a student-generated sponsor to help cover the equipment that is needed to hold the matches.

“I am all in, passionate and energetic about this idea,” he said.

He does have a challenge for whomever proves him or herself the best player:

“The winner of the tournament will face me.”