The impact of the return of FCA

During the COVID-19 pandemic, many Chapman clubs were forced to limit or postpone their usual activities in the interest of safety.

Now, however, clubs and organizations are back to their events, and Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) is no exception.

FCA made its return in September with a brand new student leadership team. Student leader and senior Abby Gossett wanted to find a way to step out of her comfort zone, and the FCA program provided an excellent opportunity.

“I decided to be a leader of FCA because I wanted to challenge myself in new ways for my senior year,” Gossett said. “God calls us to make disciples, so I thought this is a great way for me to do that.”

For student leader and junior Kaia Grace Lawter, being a student leader is a chance to see firsthand what it’s like to have a career in ministry.

“God has shown me that my future is in ministry, and I’m thankful to have the opportunity to begin in high school,” Lawter said. “It’s not about being a ‘leader’ to me; it’s just about sharing what I’m learning with others and showing our student body the power of God’s love.”

In addition to a new team of student leaders, FCA has a unique faculty sponsor. 

Science teacher Ryan Mandlove served as a sponsor when he previously taught at Chapman, and upon his return, he decided to take up his position again.

“I helped out when I was here before, and when I came back, it seemed like FCA had kind of gone away and the meetings weren’t happening on a regular basis,” Mandlove said. “I wanted it to be a part of Chapman. I want FCA to be here.”

Initially, only about 20 students were coming to FCA each week. Now, however, thanks to efforts from the leadership team to spread the word and get other students involved, attendance has doubled.

“I think social media has (helped),” Gossett said. “The more we have student leaders getting out there and speaking, showing students that we’re confident and we’re comfortable speaking in front of them has brought more students in.” 

Lawter echoes this sentiment. 

“We’ve had so many great students take part in giving a message, praying, or bringing in their own youth pastors,” Lawter said. “We’re working together to make sure Chapman is getting to know more about who God truly is.”

This high level of engagement is exactly what Mandlove’s hopes are for the FCA program. Students, athletes, and coaches are all invited to find a way to participate.

“We definitely would like to see more students come on Thursday mornings, and what we really want to see is for it to be more student-led, with more students taking ownership of FCA,” Mandlove said. “The other thing we’d like to see is more teams be involved, coaches be involved, and even having some small group meetings in between teams and team members.”

Even though FCA is a Christian organization, Gossett says all students are welcome to attend, regardless of their beliefs.

“You don’t need to feel like you have to know anything about Christianity,” Gossett said. “You don’t have to feel obligated to speak or anything; you can literally sit in the corner and just listen. Just come in with an open mind to hear what (the speakers) say, and if you think it can apply to your life, then do so.”

Mandlove emphasized that FCA is a space to have fun with other students and enjoy a good breakfast, all while spending some time in the Word of God.

“I would love for students to come and learn about Christ because that’s our foundation. Even if you’re not a believer, you can still come and fellowship and know that it’s a place where you can hear a good message and be with people that have something in common,” Mandlove said. “It’s really a time of fellowship and knowing other kids and hearing from your own classmates or from someone in the community, and we always have breakfast, and it’s just a nice way to spend a Thursday morning.”

Any students who want to participate in FCA are welcome to join them on Thursday mornings at 7:30 in the auxiliary gym.