McClure’s love of Spanish and teaching inspires colleagues and students

Chapman High School has many great things to offer but one of the most prized things is Spanish teacher Sandra McClure.

Two of Chapman’s Spanish teachers owe much to McClure.

Two of those students are Chapman’s own Chelsi Lowe and Adela Trejo.

“Mrs. McClure has greatly impacted my life,” Lowe said. “She is the reason I am a Spanish teacher.”

“Mrs. McClure has taught me so much professionally and personally,” Trejo said. “She is like a mother to me.”

Junior Stan Ashmore considers McClure a friend as well as a teacher.

“Mrs. McClure makes Spanish memorable by not treating us only as students but also as friends,” Ashmore said.

Senior Bailey Batson thinks that what helps her enjoy Spanish because the way McClure teaches her students.

“Spanish is enjoyable because Mrs. McClure allows us to do hands-on activities and skits instead of sitting and doing bookwork.” Batson said.

Batson feels that McClure’s teaching style is different from others because she encourages them to be more of a family than a class.

Ashmore agrees.

“Her teaching style is different because it is very interactive,” Ashmore said. “We don’t just sit down and take notes and write, we get to talk and have fun.”

McClure believes that learning Spanish and its culture is beneficial to a person and the world.

“I think teaching Spanish is important,” McClure said. “Spanish helps you understand and be more accepting of diversity. It allows you to meet new people and it teaches you to help others who may need your help in trying to the live the American Dream.”

Ashmore and Batson believe that McClure has helped them respect the Spanish language and culture.

“Hopefully it will open people up to others who are different and help people to understand that very point,” McClure said. “That there are people just like you. They just do things in a  different way. So hopefully learning a second language can help in conquering racism.”

McClure believes that learning a new language and visiting foreign countries can help you to be thankful for where you live:

“Learning a second language teaches you to a lot about your own language and culture. When you travel to countries that speak Spanish it teaches you about your own country and how blessed you are to live here in the U.S. and how you need to be thankful.”