Chapman Year End Studies program set to begin in May

Wouldn’t it be nice to end all of the homework, studying, cramming of projects, stress and procrastination a week early?

That’s exactly what is happening this year.

Chapman is making a change to the end of the school year with a new study program  called Y.E.S., which stands for Year End Studies.  

According to the program’s description guide, “During Y.E.S, students will be offered non-traditional, project-based, experiential courses.”

Students will choose a class they want to participate in on the last four days of school from a range of classes that interest them.

“These classes, designed by teachers to meet the interests of high school students, expand student knowledge and skills beyond the South Carolina curriculum standards,” the course guide explains. “Also, the learning opportunities go beyond the walls of Chapman and will allow students to make connections with our community.”

Allowing students to choose the class they participate in benefits each one of them because they get to learn about something they are truly interested in instead of learning because they have to be graded on it.  

Also, it allows students to have fun after a week of stressful exams.

Juniors Andrew Samenko and Kinsey Jamerson are both looking forward to the new Y.E.S program and think it is a new, exciting way to end the school year.

“It is a great way to end the school year because that way, students can have a chance to settle down and learn something new at the end of the year instead of taking exams, leaving and then forgetting everything they learned,” Samenko said. “It also gives students the chance to apply themselves in something they have never tried before so they will know whether or not they will enjoy it or be good at it.”

“Giving us a break on the last week if school is very beneficial because we are overwhelmed with exams on the last week, and it is very frustrating, so I feel like it will make the end of the year more exciting and interesting,” Jamerson said. “All throughout the school year, we are forced to learn things we aren’t interested in. Therefore, when we get the chance to do something we enjoy in school, it makes school something we look forward to.”

Samenko believes that making the last week enjoyable is something he would look forward to.

“It would be nice to have something fun right after exams because it’s always a stressful week,” Samenko said. “If students have to be there, why not make it enjoyable?”

Junior Kennedi Greene thinks whether the Y.E.S program will be enjoyable or not depends on how the students take it.

“I think it depends on what you like and how you act in the class,” Greene said. “If people take the class seriously then it will be a great way to end the school year. If not, then it won’t be beneficial to them.”

Other objectives of this program are that “students will develop an awareness of the community around them and how they fit into it” and “students will be exposed to career opportunities.”

“I think it will teach students responsibility and that a career choice isn’t always an easy choice to pick, considering there are so many jobs available,” Greene said. “Instead of spending extra years in college because someone can’t decide what he/she wants to major in, they can get an early outlook on what they would like to do for the rest of their lives.”

Jamerson agrees and also believes it will help dreams become a reality.

“As a student of Chapman High School, I feel this opportunity will help many students out with their career path because they will get a better view of what it takes to become what they have always dreamt of being,” Jamerson said.

“It is a great chance to give students real life opportunities because they are always so loaded down with homework, studying and extracurricular activities that there isn’t much time in the day to be active members in their community,” Samenko said.

“Being involved in the community is a major part of growing up so when you get a chance to become involved as a teenager, it just gives you a headstart and prepares you for the future,” Jamerson said.

Greene agrees.

“I think it is a great opportunity to let people become involved in the community,” Greene said. “It could teach many life lessons on real hardships people face in their everyday lives.”

The outcome is supposed to be very positive.

“We want students to fall in love with learning and Inman,” the course guide says. “It is our desire to develop each student’s talent and help each student become aware of the many opportunities for them to be involved in the Inman community. Hopefully, much of the talent we help develop in students will one day be invested locally and will provide a better future for Inman.”  

“Our desire is for our students to become engaged citizens and be proud of Inman.”

There are many great things about the Y.E.S program: learning, become invested in interests and also impacting community groups, organizations and businesses.

“Businesses will have the opportunity to train and strengthen the skills of their future workforce.”

Many of the classes will be raising money, which will all go to support local organizations.

Teachers and students are hopeful that the outcome of the new program will be very positive and will bring many opportunities in many areas.

“Overall, I believe that the new program is a great idea and will influence students to prepare early and become involved,” Jamerson said.

“I want students to learn for the sheer joy of learning,” Assistant Principal Amy Walker said. “Not because they’re being assessed.”