Chapman prom to be held on April 23

With less than two weeks left before prom night, Chapman students are getting excited about the special night.

This year, two major things are different about Chapman’s prom.

Rather than taking place at Chapman, the prom will take place at Swofford Career Center.

The other thing that is new is the releasing of the theme before the night of prom.

The theme for prom this year is Masquerade.

Prom sponsor Katie Hittinger said there were a lot of ideas passed around.

“The big thing was bouncing around ideas and making sure it was different but still classy,” HIttinger said. “We wanted to kick it up a notch to create a bigger reputation.”

Sponsor Casey Nunnemaker agrees.

“We wanted to do something that is classic but not overly done,” Nunnemaker said. “(We are using) iconic colors and details.”

Those aren’t the only things students can be excited about, though.

“(Students can look forward) to new photo opportunities, in both indoor and outdoor spaces, because it’s always neat to be able to have great pictures,” Hittinger said.

Hittinger and Nunnemaker have both done countless amounts of prom preparation.

“We have made several trips to Swofford to do measurements because it is off campus this year,” HIttinger said. “(It is) a lot of logistical stuff including how we are planning students to come in. Also, big photo backdrops and a photobooth.”

Prom wouldn’t be possible without the people who spend many hours thinking and preparing, to make this prom the best it can be.

“There are too many people to count (who have helped),” Nunnemaker said. “I am very grateful for the wonderful staff that has helped me out.”

Juniors in Student Council are the class members that help prepare for prom.

Junior Student Council member Sierra Brown has had to do many things in order to help prepare for prom.

“I have had to build things, learn creative ways to make parts for other things and help pick out the theme and DJ,” Brown said.

WIth that, the experience can be enjoyable but can also be challenging.  

“It’s challenging at times when you have to figure out things you aren’t sure about,” Brown said. “It’s a process of trial and error. I have (enjoyed it). I think it’s great that I get to play a part in my Junior prom and see everything come together,” Brown said.

The goal this year is for students to have a great time and for the experience to be just as good as, if not better than, last year.

“We want everyone to have a really great time and set the tone for other people to want to go to prom,” Hittinger said. “We want it to be a great experience. We can do more things if people get involved.”

“I want to get as many compliments as last year and have the same amount of ticket sales,” Nunnemaker said.

Juniors Gabbi Foster and T.J. Hollon are excited about the prom.

“I have bought everything that I am wearing for prom: my dress, jewelry, and my shoes,” Foster said. “I have also bought my boyfriend’s tux and scheduled my hair and makeup appointments. I have nothing else to do for preparing. The key is to be prepared.”

Hollon, however, has to finish preparing.

“I have thought about it but I haven’t went and done everything yet,” Hollon said. “I still have to get a tux and crissage.”

The day of prom can sometimes be chaotic and most of the time is a packed day. Especially for girls.  

“My day shall consist of waking up, getting my nails, hair and makeup done, putting on my dress, going to get pictures taken, going to eat and then going to prom,” Foster said.

For boys, prom day can be busy too.

“I am going to wake up, eat, get ready, go to pictures, go to eat and then go to prom,” Hollon said.

Foster said she is most excited about dressing up.

“(I am most excited about) look like a princess because I don’t get to do that everyday,” Foster said.

For Hollon, he’s excited about who he is spending his junior prom with.

“(I am excited) about having a good time with all of my friends,” Hollon said.

Brown thinks that prom is important to experience while you can.

“Some only get the opportunity to go to prom once,” Brown said.