Seniors begin the college application process

Kinzie Sellars

Senior Bryce Painter works on college applications in the library.

Senior Kimberly Ensley frequently checks her mailbox and her e-mail, hoping to hear from the colleges to which she’s applied.

She is one of the many seniors who has started the college application process already.

Updated applications for colleges have been posted, and seniors are spending many hours facing a computer screen in order to apply quickly and make their mark on the colleges they one day want to be their alma mater.

The college application process is neither easy nor quick.

“The most challenging part of filling out applications is definitely getting all of my test scores back and then sent in,” Ensley said. “It’s super stressful not getting the scores you want on big tests like the SAT or ACT and having to retake them to meet the requirements of some of the colleges.”

Senior Dillon Ramsey agrees.

“The college process is a strenuous and time consuming process,” Ramsey said. “It’s comprised of multiple sections that all go more in depth as you go on.”

As Ramsey begins the college application, he believes that the hardest part of the process will be the stress it brings and the anxious feeling people will get while waiting on the response from each school.  

“I feel that the college process will bring stress and anxiety,” Ramsey said. “Everyone will have to wait and wonder if they are the right fit for their college and wait until the college has decided on whether or not to accept them.”

Ramsey feels as if the process will be long but for a good reason.

“I expect the (college application) process to be long so that the colleges can access every applicant and choose the best students in the end,” Ramsey said.

Since the process is a different experience for most seniors, Guidance Counselor Jarrod Ray said his best piece of advice would be to get things done early.

“Don’t wait until the last minute to fill out applications,” Ray said. “Haste makes waste. Submitting transcripts, obtaining letters of recommendation, writing essays, etc. takes time. Also, the earlier you can apply, the better. You will have a decision from the college faster, get first dibs on scholarship money or housing and will have peace of mind rather than feeling rushed and unsure about your future options.”

Ray believes there are many mistakes students sometimes make during the application process that can be avoided.

“(Some mistakes students make are) waiting until the last minute, careless errors (not proofreading or writing like you text), not taking ownership (allowing your mom and dad to do everything), Ray said. “Your mom and dad aren’t going with you to college or to work. If you haven’t started to do so, now is the time to start taking responsibility for yourself. That means handling your own paperwork, deadlines, phone calls, etc. Read up, ask for help, and get organized, but don’t expect someone else to do the work for you.”

Out of the entire process Ramsey is dreading one thing the most.

“The most dreaded part will be the essays just based off the fact that I’m not a strong writer,” he said.

Along with the work and time the process requires, there is also one thing that is hard to control: the emotions.

For Ensley, the application process brought one main emotion.

“Filling out college applications is bittersweet,” Ensley said. “I’m so ready to move on to the next chapter of my life, but at the same time I don’t want to leave this one behind. It is just now really starting to hit me that I’m a senior and in a few short months I’ll be beginning the rest of my life. Deciding what college I’ll be going to just makes it all seem so real.”

After this stressful process is over, good news can come and make the whole process rewarding.

“The biggest reward from filling out countless applications will hopefully be finding the school I want to go to,” Ensley said. “There are so many amazing schools to choose from, but in the end, my hope is that I’ll find the one I’m supposed to be at.”

Ramsey feels that a school accepting him will be the most rewarding part.

“The most rewarding part will definitely be the acceptance,” Ramsey said. “Knowing that you’ve gotten into the college of your dreams and the hard work in high school has paid off.”