Student choice is key to technology integration

Lane+Penley

Lane Penley

When you walk into class in 2016, you have to get out your laptop instead of pencil and paper.

A major goal in schools is to get technology in the hands of students, but I do not believe that all students learn better with the new technology. I strongly believe that students should have the choice whether or not the computers help them to get work done more efficiently.

Unfortunately, in most cases, the student does not have the option to do their work the traditional way.

The new technology program has definitely broadened the spectrum in which teachers create lesson plans and give out assignments, and paired with the Google Apps for Education program, it has worked very effectively so far.

Students, including me, are pleased with the fact that we can turn in classwork from just about anywhere with an internet connection.

But technology needs to be doled out appropriately. Only doing assignments on the computer can be stressful and overwhelming at times.

My solution for this is for teachers to use the technology in moderation so students can vary the way that they complete their work.

For example, at the start of the school year, we are questioned in order for our teachers to find out if we are a visual, auditory or kinesthetic learner, and I think teachers should do the same to find out if we will learn better with the computers or the traditional way.

In the end, the goal for students is to learn whichever way we take in the information the best, so it should be up to you, the student.