The student newspaper site of Chapman High School

The Prowl

The Prowl

The Prowl

SUBJECT SPOTLIGHT: Math

Ashley Lee

The age-old question: Why do I have to do math? 

The Chapman math department has answers for that.

“Whether (students) like it or not, they’re gonna need it,” geometry teacher Beth Morin said. “Geometry teaches them to think outside the box. They don’t want to learn math. But they’re gonna have to.”

Math is needed for problem-solving and everyday tasks and in many jobs.

“(It’s help for) figuring out a discount or helping someone build something,” math teacher Carrie Forrest said. “Those are things I get random calls about all the time.”

Not every math class applies equally to all people, of course.

“Depending on what students do in life, they may not use the specific skills in math class,” algebra teacher Tyler Berry said. “But the problem-solving skills, and the ability to think outside the box and follow steps, that will carry you on through your jobs.”

A lot of students seem to struggle with math, but Berry said there’s no reason to worry.

“Once you understand the steps, the problems won’t change,” Berry said.  “You can change the numbers, but you will always get an answer,” 

Part of the challenge for math teachers is making sure that they build connections.

“I had wonderful math teachers,” Forrest said. “(Former Chapman Principal) Ty Dawkins was my seventh-grade math teacher. Yes, he loved his content, but he loved his students as well.”

Donate to The Prowl
$600
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Chapman High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.