Smith leads band as Drum Major

Smith leads band as Drum Major

Abigail Smith has been a part of the band since 5th grade and has been a leader in the past, serving as equipment coordinator last year. 

This year, though, the junior was named the Drum Major for the 23-24 year.

With being drum major comes many responsibilities on and off the field.

“The drum major conducts and directs the band so that the band will watch the drum major to get tempos and to know when to come in during the show,” said Smith.

Having such a significant role can cause some pressure and worry. 

“I was nervous when I first started it, but as I’ve gotten into it I’m pretty proud that I’m able to do it,” said Smith.

Sophomore Brass Captain Erin Alsup and senior Equipment Coordinator Georgia Clark love having Smith as their Drum Major.

“I think Abby this year was put on the spot to be a drum major so I think she is doing very well getting used to a new skill,” said Alsup

Not only does Aslup think that Smith is an amazing leader, but so does Clark.

“Abby is one of my best friends, and she is just so positive to work around and lets us do creative things (like face paint),” said Clark.

Band Director Kevin Horton has full faith in Smith that she will be a great role model and leader for the marching band.

“Abby always shows up on time and does all that she can and goes above and beyond to show other students how they should act and how they should be responsible and pull their weight in the band,” said Horton

Smith is incredibly proud of herself and the whole band and can’t wait for their season ahead. 

“I hope that we can go to state this year and it would feel good to be the person that directs the band for state,” said Smith

Horton has one final piece of advice for Smith as she starts her journey with being drum major:

“Keep up the good work and always be successful.”

Donate to The Prowl
$500
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Chapman High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.