The student newspaper site of Chapman High School

The Prowl

The Prowl

The Prowl

SUBJECT SPOTLIGHT: Performing Arts

Ashley Lee

It comes as no surprise to high school students that math, science, English and history classes are required in order to graduate. Though some may disagree, it is well known that those core classes have at least some skills in every field one may go into.

However, it sometimes comes as a shock to upcoming upperclassmen that one performing arts class is required in order to graduate high school. 

Many have been uninformed and haven’t taken the classes. Many, many more fake their way through performing arts, without realizing the true purpose of these required classes.

“I wholeheartedly believe that visual and performing arts are for everyone,” said orchestra teacher Jeanette Kuhn. “Music helps foster student leadership skills as they work together with their section. Just like being on an athletic team brings people together, making music draws people together as you are working hard and putting all your effort into a common purpose to present a performance for the audience to enjoy.”

Orchestra, band and chorus, three of the performing arts classes to choose from, help hone musical talent and help students to recognize their strengths musically. They also help students feel more confident with social skills because when they step onto the stage, they know they are going to perform songs that show off their talents.

“Singing in chorus has given me a much better self reflection of my singing skills,” sophomore Caden Jackson said. “Learning about octaves and different voice ranges helps me learn more about my musical capabilities.”

Simply put, students can know what they are good at and how to show it off.

“Orchestra has made me more committed to staying within an organization,” senior Mayla Vang said. “I enjoy being able to perform my talent in front of a crowd.”

Speaking of honing talent and confidence, theatre has been well known as a subject that brings out a social side of people that is unmatched. From straight shows to musicals, rehearsals to performances, backstage to acting – theatre makes students step out of their comfort zone and try things unimagined.

“Theatre has brought a lot of joy to my life,” said sophomore Nora Arlene Fox. “It has given me friendships I never would have imagined. It’s also made me really expressive with my facial expressions and hands.”

Donate to The Prowl
$600
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Chapman High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.