The student newspaper site of Chapman High School

The Prowl

The Prowl

The Prowl

JROTC creates cadets and character

Ashley Lee

AFJROTC is a military program that has over 90,000 cadets and more than 1,600 retired USAF instructors who lead, mentor, guide, and teach our cadets in high schools in the U.S. and around the world. 

The program hosted in Chapman is mentored by Col. Ben Davis who graduated from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1990 and Senior Master Sgt. Rusty Smith who began his career in 1986 and finished his career at Shaw AFB, Sumter S.C., after 25 years of service. 

The program is built around the concept and structure of the Air Force with the uniforms and other things they do. 

“The program is meant to really design and create a good citizen,” said Smith. 

The whole program is really designed to build character for young cadets and hopefully move from here to be a part of the community by joining clubs and helping out the community. 

There are almost 80 cadets in the program at Chapman, and there are no requirements to join. 

All students have to do is sign up at the beginning of the year. There are all types of students from freshmen to seniors that compete to be the top 5% at Chapman. 

Some of the things they do are march, do drills and handle prop guns. 

“I like all the feet movement drills we do,” freshman Haakon Skeie said. 

Besides doing drills and foot movement, the color and honor guard attend events to present the National Colors at a presentation or ceremony.

Being in AFJROTC can also teach you about the Air Force and Aerospace Science. The program also helps you gain a P.E. credit. 

Sophomore Isabella Stewart said JROTC has been helfpul for her.,

“ROTC has made me more responsible,” she said. “I’m most interested in the uniforms by keeping it pristine and kept up.”

Donate to The Prowl
$600
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Chapman High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.