Chapman celebrates state championship win

On Dec. 17, 2016, Chapman High School’s varsity football team came home reveling in the adrenaline of winning state. The town was ecstatic about the school’s achievement.

Cars, families and banners lined the streets in rows as hands and faces poked out from the windows of the activity bus.

Cheers rang throughout the city, as the players went to bed that night knowing that they had just made history.

A month later, the school decided to have a parade in celebration of the team’s win. The players mounted floats and the cheerleaders followed, shouting cheers to the gathered crowds on the sidewalks.

Senior Tashaun Wallace appreciates the support of the town.  

It felt so great to see Inman express their excitement for our victory,” Wallace said. “It means a lot to me to have been apart of the towns happiness, and I appreciate everyone who put together the parade.”

Similar to Wallace’s response, freshman Tyler Rogers feels the gratitude of the city.  

“I think having a parade for the team was great,” Rogers said. “It was able to show the  community’s and family’s love and support for the Chapman Panthers.”

Sophomore Sarah-Margaret Reid said she appreciates the familial aspect of the parades.

“It felt so great,” Reid said. “Almost like we were a family. This was the time that we all came together. No matter what clique or social status, we were a family. It made me believe in our school as a whole.”

Earlier in the week the school had an assembly to honor the football teams achievement. The school staff handed the players medals in appreciation of their hard work and the crowd of students went wild.