The student newspaper site of Chapman High School

The Prowl

The Prowl

The Prowl

SUBJECT SPOTLIGHT: Physical Education

Ashley Lee

In high school, physical education classes are often seen as something to trudge through. Gym class, stereotyped through movies and novels as a chore and a class to dread, has become stigmatized to high school students. When COVID struck in 2020, the problem became more pronounced. Online gym class became an option, and many students cheated their way through in order to get an easy A.

The stigma of gym class being ‘pointless’ has obscured all of the life skills that are learned in physical education. Many students forget that, just like other required core classes, it is here for a reason.

“It is such a great thing to see students ‘find their sport’ and get positive feedback,” said physical education teacher Barbara Lansing. “Certain sports are things that people can do for the rest of their lives, and it’s awesome to see the connection students develop in class with others.”

Team sports are highly encouraged in physical education. Sports such as kickball, volleyball, and basketball teach students how to put differences aside and work for a common goal.

Physical education can also boost morale. As students step out of their comfort zones to start positive exercise routines, they will realize that they are capable of more than they’d previously thought.

““All students should have some sort of exercise on a regular basis,” Lansing said. “This is important because it establishes personal exercise habits that will carry on into their adult life. Self image is a critical individual skill to develop, and that happens a lot in class.”

Many students do not want to take gym class because they are uncomfortable with their physical appearance, and would prefer a class they can better themselves in without constant physical tests. There are other options to get gym credits, and they are just as beneficial.

JROTC is one of these classes. It focuses on teaching discipline and leadership, and may be a better fit for some students.

“JROTC is a citizenship and character development program that helps young adults grow into productive and responsible citizens,” Col. Ben Davis, one of the JROTC instructors, said. “While many believe JROTC is for those interested in the military, less than 10% take that path after high school.  It’s more about the activities, leadership skills and challenges we offer, especially for those students who don’t already have a sport or club.”

In addition to JROTC, Marching Band is a class which offers a physical education credit. For students that are more musically oriented, this class may be a good option. 

Marching Band builds team skills, good work ethic, practice routines for new musicians, and social skills.

The cliched, stereotype of gym class hides all of the benefits. From physical fitness to team building to good routines, any type of P.E. class is extremely beneficial to developing high school students.

Donate to The Prowl
$600
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Chapman High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.