The student newspaper site of Chapman High School

The Prowl

The Prowl

The Prowl

Burnette named Staff Member of the Semester

Ashley Lee

On Jan. 24, CATE teacher Barry Burnette was named Staff Member of the Semester at the winter sports pep rally. 

“I thought that it was an honor because my fellow teachers thought that I taught in a way that could give me the privilege,” Burnette said. “It makes you feel special inside.”

This is something new that Chapman has started to celebrate with its staff.

“I think it is a part of the culture, climate that we recognize each other,” Assistant Principal Joe Anderson said.

Burnette is particularly grateful for the award because he believes that there are very many people at Chapman who deserve this role. 

“There are so many of them that could have gotten it instead of me,” Burnette said.

CATE teacher Andy Pitt has known Burnette for over three years and was the teacher who nominated Burnette. 

“He is so giving of his time and he has done some things to help organize our department, and he cares about his kids,” Pitt said. 

Freshman Paisleigh Smith believes that Burnette was very deserving of this award.

“He is very patient with his students,” she said. “He also expects the best out of them.”

Burnette has worked so hard to make his class loving for every student who steps into his classroom. 

Now that he has won this award, Burnette hopes to stay true to himself and continue to share his love for teaching:

“I’m always wanting to be the best teacher I can be, I always want to make sure my students leave my classroom and learn something not only about the subject that I’m teaching but make them a better person in life.”

Donate to The Prowl
$600
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Chapman High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.