The student newspaper site of Chapman High School

The Prowl

The Prowl

The Prowl

New hairstyle has athletes buzzing

Recently, Chapman has seen an increase in buzzcuts among male athletes.

Not only has the trend affected the athletes themselves, but also their confidence and, of course, relationship status.

At first, there seemed to be no reason for this trendy hairstyle. But it was quickly revealed that this had something to do with their sports teams.  

After talking with players on both the soccer and tennis teams, they all hinted at the fact that it was due to peer pressure. 

“There was no real pressure to get it, but at the same time everyone else is doing it, so it makes you want to do it,” junior soccer player Landon Pruitt said. 

This impulsive decision was not only made on the soccer team, but the tennis team too. 

“The tennis team randomly decided that we should all buzz our hair,” junior Hank Zimmerman said.

It may be silly to some, but it seems to really help build a connection between players on each sports team. 

“It adds a sense of unity to the team,” Pruitt said. 

Some people have a real attachment to their hair, so shaving it is a commitment.

“I actually really liked my hair before, so I was a little nervous, but it was fun to do something like this with my friends,” junior soccer player Jakob Schall said.

Although some athletes are happy with their new look, it’s not the case for everyone. 

“We’re not as confident as before,” junior tennis player JP Davis said. “We don’t really like the buzz cut.”

As for whether or not the new hairstyles are helping these athletes with their dating lives? That’s not cut and dry. 

“It’s a mixed response,” Pruitt said. “50% of the ladies love it and 50% hate it.”

Schall, however, sees it differently:

“The ladies love the hair.”

Donate to The Prowl
$600
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Chapman High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.