The student newspaper site of Chapman High School

The Prowl

The Prowl

The Prowl

The value of hopecore

While a lot of trends on TikTok tend not to be positive, a recent trend has gone viral that breaks this pattern: “hopecore” TikToks.

Hopecore TikToks are videos on TikTok that contain nothing but happy videos, such as a crowd in a stadium saving a cat or a child beating cancer, all with a happy song underneath them. They are usually captioned with something along the lines of “find the good.” 

This trend is a great game changer compared to the staggering amount of harmful ones. For example, although it is funny, the trend where people show their abysmal grades over classical music isn’t exactly overly positive. 

Hopecore feels like a light at the end of the tunnel. Often, the comments sections of hopecore videos are filled with sentiments such as “I never skip a hopecore video,” and for good reason.

Not only do hopecore videos spread much needed positivity, sometimes they can even inspire others to be kinder, as some videos show average people doing random acts of kindness. For example, in one compilation, there is a conga line of sorts of people giving up their bus seat for the person behind them.

Hopecore seems to be attempting to break the commonplace idea of “doomscrolling,” which is going on social media for a long time and seeing all the bad in the world. Doomscrolling is notoriously quite draining, so when a video filled with nothing but the good in the world comes across your feed during a doomscrolling session, maybe you’ll break out of it and feel a little better.

In any case, an attempt at bringing happiness to the masses is better than no attempt at all. And I feel hopecore is one of the best attempts in a while.

Donate to The Prowl
$600
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Chapman High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.