The power of positivity in the classroom

You have probably heard the saying about the way you present yourself and how it can affect the way your peers act and even the people they interact with.

Your emotions can determine if someone else is going to have positive, uplifting emotions toward all of the people that they encounter that day.

There are many reasons to be kind and encouraging to other people. You can change someone’s day without even knowing it.

I believe that the first step in doing this starts in the classroom. As students, we spend large sums of time at school, which in turn affects many different things in our lives.

If we can bring positivity to the school environment, it can change how students perceive school and can even change the way someone looks at school. There is no better place to make a difference than in schools where you can deliver a message to a substantial amount of people.

Essentially, it works much like a chain reaction with your attitude affecting countless people beyond just who you talk to or interact with.

I myself have had several occurrences where a lighthearted person influenced me to change my attitude that day.

For example, here at Chapman we have had several guest speakers come and deliver their story and message to us students because they want to make an impact in our lives.

These speakers typically come to our school in efforts to either change our outlook on something, or just to share their life story with us.

There was even a book composed by author Yvonne Bender called “The Power of Positive Teaching,” created to help educators better grasp how to keep students willing to learn and have the attitude to succeed in school.

If our teachers can present an optimistic atmosphere to students, then we can ultimately change people’s lives.

As the great music artist Willie Nelson once said,

“Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you’ll start having positive results.”