The student newspaper site of Chapman High School

The Prowl

The Prowl

The Prowl

Lansing retiring at the end of the year

Matthew Davis

Social studies teacher and tennis coach Mark Lansing has only been at Chapman for four years but has made a lasting impact on his athletes and students.
At the end of the year, however, Lansing will retire.
Lansing said that teaching and coaching builds strong relationships with the kids.
“The whole reason any teacher or coach does what they do is because you’re trying to impact people as far as giving back, teaching them life lessons more than a sport or a classroom but while doing that you get back more than what you give from the kids with the relationships,” Lansing said.
Junior Hank Zimmerman, one of Lansing’s old students and a member of the boys tennis team said that Lansing is a great teacher.
“What makes him a great teacher is how he keeps you involved in his teaching and pushes his students to be the best they can be,” Zimmerman said. “What makes him a great coach is how he builds relationships with his players and makes practices enjoyable.”
Senior Grant Kinlaw echoes Zimmerman’s admiration.
“(He is) very supportive of the team and cares very much about his players,” Kinlaw said. “I am going to miss Lansing as a coach and as a good friend.”
Zimmerman said that Lansing has helped him become a better player.
“Coach has pushed me to get better even when I wasn’t playing tennis,” he said. “He pushed me to be a better athlete by helping me with my confidence, which has helped a lot during the games.”
Lansing said he will miss the friends he made and the relationships with his kids.
“I’ve made a lot of friends here, but I love coaching and to be able to coach the kids I’ve coached, it’s been a privilege,” he said. “It’s been an honor.”

Donate to The Prowl
$600
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Chapman High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.