Teacher Cadet at Chapman

Students at Chapman High School are able to take advantage of an opportunity that many other high school students can’t: Teacher Cadet.

The students learn about what it takes to be a teacher and how different students learn and are then able to take field experience at a local school in the district.

“It gives them an opportunity to see if teaching is a viable job in the future,” Teacher Cadet teacher Rebecca Williams said.

Students in the class are also able to learn about different forms and styles of teaching, and then they can see firsthand how these techniques affect students and their growth.

“I’ve really liked trying to figure out if this would be a career that I would want to pursue,” Senior Grace Strawbridge said.

“I’ve learned that teaching is a lot of work and that you have to take a lot of time to prepare,” Senior Katie Ash said.

The students not only learn about being a teacher, but also they can gain and grow new skills through the class and the field experience.

“It’s taught me to react to different students and all of their different situations,” Strawbridge said.

Besides just learning about teaching, the students get to decide if the classroom is where they will be in the future.

“I think that the class has reassured me that this is my future career,” Ash said.

“I want students to try it and see if it is for you,” Williams said. ”We are always looking for the best and brightest.”

Teacher Cadet is a great opportunity for Chapman Students to look beyond Chapman and see what could be next for them.

No matter if the students become teachers, the class is still beneficial and a great way to learn and experience something new.