Should the school year be longer?

As the end of 2017 approaches, students are anticipating Christmas break with its two whole weeks of getting to do whatever they want until the second semester starts.

However, some think a longer school calendar would be better. Maybe only a week for Christmas break and then straight back to school? Some even think extending the end of the year to the middle of June or possibly even the beginning of July would be a good idea.

Personally, I think a longer school calendar is not a good idea. Towards the end of the semester, students tend to get worn out and tired. Breaks in between such as Christmas, spring break, and summer are all needed in order to do well in school.

Without these breaks, grades would struggle, students would not be giving their all and, overall, the school would not be at its best.

In order for students to succeed, they have to be at their best and be ready to give their full potential. If they are dragging towards the end, this cannot happen.

Because of breaks, students are able to succeed because they come back from school well rested and ready to learn.

With a longer calendar, students would be burnt out by the end, and it would show on important tests such as final exams, EOC’s, ACT’s and SAT’s.

Those tests are extremely important to a student’s grade, and a longer school calendar would mean a longer semester with a harder ending.

A longer school calendar is not a good idea, and would only make finishing the semester hard on students.