College Knowledge: Greenville Tech

Greenville Technical College is a two-year college that was established in 1962 and has been striving ever since to produce skilled workers who will improve South Carolina’s economy.

The current chancellor is Dr. Keith Miller. There are six locations in the upstate: Greenville, Greer, Simpsonville and Berea.

Students who attend Greenville Tech have the chance of participating in the Honors program, learning online and studying abroad.

Students who choose to study abroad have the opportunity to learn new languages and about living and working in a different country. Four years ago, the students who chose to study abroad got the chance to visit Istanbul, Turkey where the got to visit Topkapi Palace and The Blue Mosque.

The school offers services in 19 different fields such as business, technology, arts and science.

“I will be studying esthetics and nutrition,” senior Skylar Tebalt said. “I decided to attend Greenville Tech because they offer esthetics and I want to be able to get my certification for that.”

During the summer, students are invited to the Greenville Tech campus each week to participate in programs and camps such as STEM and Culinary Camp. At these camps, students can learn anything from 3D printing and designing to baking and preparing your favorite comfort foods like a chef.

There are currently around 13,500 students enrolled at Greenville Tech and the male to female ratio is 17:1. Around 8,000 of the students are full-time and around 5,500 are part-time students.

The tuition for in-state students is around $4,300 and for out-of-state students, it is around $8,200.

Tebalt is excited as time grows near for her to get ready to graduate from Chapman and transition into college.

“What I’m most looking forward to in college is starting a new chapter in my life and new experiences,” Tebalt said.