From the classroom to the workforce

We’re almost halfway through our spring semester, and seniors and juniors (including a few ambitious sophomores) are starting to prepare for life after high school, but this doesn’t just mean college.

Going to college immediately after high school is not always an option for everyone. College is expensive, difficult, and for some people, unnecessary. You can always consider trade school, apprenticeships or other means to learn a specialized skill that offers you a more practical experience in the job of your choice.

There are alternative ways to do what you’re passionate about, but don’t think ‘alternative’ means easier. To be successful in anything, it will take hard work.

Two of our Chapman seniors know this. Rachel Aho and Mackenzie Robinson are both planning on working at the Lauryn Ashytn Collection in Spartanburg, SC. Aho mentioned the many hours of book work, early Saturday mornings, and studying for state board testing that went into being able to begin work.

Aho recognizes that the payoff for all her hard work will be worth it. The Lauryn Ashytn Collection ”Is a full-service salon which is what I wanted to start out in. With this company we get to travel around the country to private events and trading shows and soon other countries with almost all our expenses paid for,” Aho said.

If you are interested in going into the workforce once you graduate, talk to your guidance counselor about your options. “There’s nothing I love to do more than hair, so taking Cosmetology at Swofford helped me out a lot on getting to work right after high school,” Aho said.

Despite the fact that most students choose to attend college right after high school, there is no deadline or timeframe. You can always take a gap year (or three). Robinson said, “It will give me time to save money if I change my mind and decide to go to school.”

Another important aspect to consider is whether or not your parents and community will be supportive of your choice. College is the traditional route, but both Aho and Robinson have received support. Robinson said, “As long as I’m doing what makes me happy and what I feel is best for me, then my family and friends are happy for me.”