Academic team has all the answers you need

The Chapman Academic Team is a group of four students who test their knowledge while competing against teams from local schools.

The four members are senior Kyle Wilson, junior Brenna Griffin, junior Natalie Roberts and freshman Victoria Hunt.  

During matches, students will be asked a series of questions. These ‘tossups’ are based on topics including current events, history, music and art. If your team is the first to buzz in and a team member answers the question correctly, then you get three bonuses which add to your score.

Matches are occasionally held on local college campuses. After matches, students have a chance to tour the college campuses that they might be considering.

The Academic Team provides a stress-free environment for students who are looking to get involved.  

“It’s just fun,” Coach Ryan Mandlove said. “There’s no pressure.”

If you are skillful in a certain subject, then you would be great for the team.

Being a part of the team has encouraged the students who participate to form a tight-knit bond.

“Even though there are only four of us, it feels like a second family,” Hunt said. “When we go to a meet, we have a lot of fun and that’s what I love about it.”

For those who are eager to join the Academic Team, you don’t have to try out and there are no cuts.

“All you have to do is sign up,” Mandlove said. “If you say you want to do it, then you’re in.”

The team practices on Mondays until 4 p.m.