Being safe in a changing world

When you leave campus at 3:15 every day, you’re ultimately exposed to the dangers that your school has protected you from. Anything can happen from then on to the time you go to sleep. We like to falsely protect ourselves with sayings like “this can never happen to me” or “that only happens in big cities like Chicago, not our town.” So, how do we protect ourselves outside of school?

As someone who works in downtown Spartanburg, I remain extremely diligent as I leave work at late hours. I have my keys ready, phone ready, and someone to walk me to my car. Simple precautions such as just paying attention to your surroundings can mean life or death in any situation.

I am always wary of who I park beside, and I quickly rush into my car and lock my doors.My advice for students who are leaving places that aren’t high in security or are leaving at night, please watch your surroundings and get to your destination as quickly as possible. Also, have your keys ready and your phone ready to call somebody if in an emergency.

If you’re going to a party or somewhere unfamiliar, tell your friends or family where you’re at before departing and give them a curfew. If you aren’t home by that curfew, remind them to drive to you to pick you up.

Though the safety of a student can’t always be protected students can take extra precautions to ensure their safe arrival home. Whether this may be paying attention to your surroundings or having a friend to walk with you so you aren’t alone in unfamiliar places.

Follow these tips and share them with others to help prevent people from becoming victims of violence. Your life is important, and there’s only one of you, so make it count.