College Knowledge: University of South Carolina

The University of South Carolina is a public, co-educational research university located in Columbia, South Carolina.

Founded in 1801, South Carolina originally only had one building. There are now seven satellite campus located in Aiken, Beaufort, Lancaster, Sumter, Spartanburg, Union, and Salkehatchie.

At the Columbia campus, there are currently 34,900 students enrolled. But the entire system educates over 50,000 students across the state.

Currently, the school has students from all 50 states and 100 foreign countries, which helps them to be a very diverse campus. This also opens up opportunities for students to learn about new cultures and ways of life.

The school has its own newspaper called “The Daily Gamecock” which is published Monday through Friday during both semesters. The news reaches over 30,000 people across all campuses in the USC system.

The large enrollment means that the class sizes will be large also. The campus is home to 25 residence halls with the most recent one opening in 2011.

The school is prominently known for its research and science programs with the focus being put on biomedicine, nanotechnology, and alternative fuels.

The campus setting is urban, and it is surrounded by many points of interest in the city like the state building and downtown Columbia. The campus covers over 359 acres of land.

Not only does the area around USC have a lot to offer students, the school has many clubs and organizations to be a part of and many athletic programs are sponsored.

They offer many groups for all types of students such as fraternities, clubs and countless things for students to be a part of.

The school has always had a stout athletics program, winning the Palmetto Series against Clemson the last three years.

In 2017, the women’s basketball team won the national championship over Mississippi State under Head Coach Dawn Staley. The baseball team also won a pair of titles when they went back-to-back in 2010 and 2011.

Learn more about USC and even get information on attending this school yourself at their website.