Rostron honored as Teacher of the Year

Every year, the faculty of Chapman High School selects a teacher to gain the moniker of Teacher of the Year.

This year’s winner was chorus teacher Rebecca Rostron.

“It is a huge honor because of how much I respect the other teachers here at Chapman,” Rostron said.

Rostron teaches students in Concert Chorus, Chamber Singers and the elite choir members in Chorolation.

“I feel that she deserves it because she helps us reach our goals and strive for greatness,” alto singer Sarah-Margaret Reid said. “It is such an honor to be taught by such an esteemed teacher that cares about us and what we learn.”

Rostron was nominated by Amy Ballentine and later voted on by the entire Chapman faculty.

“I think that the arts are vital for students to grow and develop,” Ballentine said. ”Ms. Rostron has fostered and grown the program over the years into what it is today: an award winning, life changing group.”

“She is a phenomenal teacher and has positive relationships with her students,” Principal Ty Dawkins said. “She pushes her students beyond their comfort zones and their own expectations.”

Rostron is striving to give her students the best experience and education they can inside the halls of Chapman High School.

“The essence of good teaching is getting students excited about what they are learning,” Rostron said. “Being Teacher of the Year is another way to showcase all that we do as teachers, creating an atmosphere that allows students to learn as much as possible.”