Chapman relays against cancer

On Friday, Chapman High School will join the cause and participate in several events in support for Relay for Life including an outside field day for students.

“Relay For Life is an organization devoted to finding a cure for cancer, Chapman is getting involved by doing a ‘buyout’ during all four blocks during the school day on Friday, April 27,” Student Council leader Chelsea Dupree said.

During this buyout there will be games and various activities all costing a dollar.

“After paying a dollar students can go onto the field and participate in games like Cornhole, Kan Jam, Giant Jenga, Frisbee, Kickball, and Spikeball and concessions will be sold throughout the day,” Dupree said. “All proceeds and donations made on the field including the initial ten dollars will go towards Relay for life.”

All the money collected over this week and during tomorrow’s field day goes towards raising money for finding a cure for cancer. This effort to raise money for Relay for Life is special for everyone involved because of the impact that cancer has had on so many people’s lives.

“This is a day that is really special to me,” government teacher Grey Ramsey said. “One in three people in this world will be affected by cancer. On this day, our school and community have the power to make a difference by bringing awareness and raising funds that may one day cure cancer.”

Many of Chapman’s loved ones have been affected by cancer.

“All of the participants in the relay have had an experience with cancer, either themselves or with an immediate family member,” Ramsey said. “This day is very special to all of us. It gives us an opportunity to honor our friends and family members who have battled this disease.”

In the past, someone has walked around Chapman for 12 hours straight, while we’ve changed the walk on Friday, April 27 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. someone will be walking to signify the tiring battle with cancer.

“Walking for 12 straight hours signifies how cancer never sleeps,” Ramsey said. “A person with cancer never stops fighting when they are tired and for one day, neither do we. We make a pledge to walk constantly for 12 hours in appreciation and memory of those who are currently battling cancer or who have battled the disease in the past.”

The walking schedule for Friday can be seen below:

7-10 am- Coach Ramsey and Coach Fusaro
10-1 pm- Mrs. Fowler and Mrs. Gragg
1-4 pm- Coach Maley and Mrs. Smith
4-7 pm- Dr. Hollis, Dr. Timmons and students that are a part of the Newspaper and Yearbook staff

A community-wide Relay for Life from 6 p.m. – 12 p.m. at Mabry Middle School. Don’t miss it.