From Senior to Freshman: My Advice to You

The first-day jitters are out of the way, summer now seems like it was six months ago, the icebreaking getting-to-know-you games are finished, your teachers have started their lessons — the 2018-2019 school year is underway. Now high school feels too real and you have mixed emotions about it all.

I’ve been there. My freshman year school started on a Monday, just like it did this year, and I was extremely nervous. I didn’t have an older sibling to walk in with or anything, and I was just praying some of my friends would already be there so I didn’t have to sit alone in the gym before the bell rang.

I survived the first and second day, and on the way to school that Wednesday the thought of all my teachers really starting to teach — and that I was actually starting high school — made me physically sick. As in, I had to get my mom to get out of the drop off line and park because I was throwing up sick.

My mom told me I felt warm. Her school nurse training kicked in, and she made me go back home so that I didn’t risk getting others sick. My first thought was, “Oh my gosh! I’m going to fail Mrs. Gragg’s class now!” and then “Great, looks like this is how high school is about to go.”

I promise, my third day was no reflection of the rest of my year or the last three years I’ve spent at Chapman — and it won’t be for you. Maybe this whole high school thing hasn’t been quite the perfect fit that you’d hoped for, or maybe the past few days have been everything you expected and more. Either way, it’ll get better. It may not feel like it — I know it didn’t for me — but here are some things I wish I could share with my 14-year-old, wide-eyed freshman self that I want to tell you in hopes of making these next four year your best ones yet.

• Stay focused.

You have more opportunities in high school, but that also comes with more responsibility. There’s no denying that your classes are about to get harder; that’s just part of it. There is nothing worse than getting overwhelmed at home because you’re trying to finish up everything you put off doing in class. Talk and spend time with your friends, but do it at the right times. You may be one of the few people doing your work — there’s nothing wrong with that! Be the one, it’s much more rewarding.

• Give yourself time to chill out.

With that being said, there are going to be nights where you’ve been in the same spot studying and doing worksheet after worksheet for hours. Give yourself a break. I, personally, have to really force this one. I’ve always been a straight-A student and really struggle with accepting any grade lower than that. (I know that isn’t the case for most people, so you people that tend to slack off — focus on number one!) In pre-cal honors last year I really had to force myself to put away the binder, pray that everything I had been studying would stick and lay down. At some point, you have to accept the fact that if you don’t know it now, you won’t know it by cramming every detail in at the last minute. Relax, one bad test grade will not kill you! Sometimes certain chapters are just harder than others. It’ll be okay — I promise.

• You’re not too cool for pep rallies and spirit days.

When Mr. Maley comes to the freshman side of the gym with the spirit sick, get off of the top bleachers, get on your feet and yell. When we have homecoming week and spirit days, get dressed up however you want (in school dress code, of course). Get out of your comfort zone and have fun! Some of my best moments, the pictures that bring back the sweetest memories and most fun to do “then vs. now” pictures with are at pep rallies. As a senior, the football games are something I know I will miss when I go to college. Even though my school may have these events, there’s nothing like sitting in the student section cheering on the Chapman Panthers.

• Keep on the good side of teachers/administration

Your life will be so much easier if you stay out of trouble. If you have a good reputation and the administration and teachers know that, when you have a bad day and act out of character the consequences will be much easier. There are so many times that I’ve gone to Dr. Timmons to get a recommendation letter, opportunities that Dr. McMillan has given me because he knew he could trust me, and times when Mrs. Walker has been there to talk me out of a bad attitude when the day is going all wrong. You don’t have to be their best friend and talk to them constantly, but a smile in the hallway goes a long way and staying out of trouble is worth it. You can have fun and make each day enjoyable without doing things that are going to sacrifice your freedoms in high school.

• A positive attitude goes a long way

Speak it into existence — a saying that I have built upon these past few years. After going through some things, I realized that if I start my day with the intentions that I’m going to be upset then the day will be just that. However, as soon as I decide that today will not be the same as yesterday, that I will pass the test and will enjoy the day, things change. Classes get hard and everything gets busy, but just keep your head up. One bad day doesn’t mean you have a bad life or a bad week, make a point to move on from it.

• Friend groups change. It’s okay.

Don’t beat yourself up because you’re not as close with the people you used to be. Over the next four years you’re going to change and grow so much, and so is everyone else. You’ll meet new people, and stay close with some old friends — don’t worry about it! And please, don’t cause drama over it. If you’re in drama, take a look at who you’re around and the way you’re reacting to situations because drama will not arise where it isn’t welcome. Make it a point to have fun, enjoy your every day and stay away from negativity as much as you can.

• Get involved.

My last piece of advice is this: get loud at pep rallies, cheer at football games, celebrate with your school and have fun. Some of my best memories are being in the student section at football games cheering so much that we leave with no voice left. Do what you want to do and don’t think about what anyone has to say about it. If you want to write, join newspaper. If you want to sing, join chorus. If you want to argue, join the debate club. Whatever you want to do — do it! You’ll get to make the best memories with people who enjoy doing the same things as you. If you just go through high school class by class and nothing else it’s not going to be fun. But take it from this senior — high school is much more than four classes a semester. It’s a family, an experience and one that’s as fun as you make it.

Make the best out of these next four years. It’s cliche, but it goes by way too fast.