Officer Irwin: Behind the badge

He’s the first to arrive at Chapman every morning, getting here early to check cameras and walk the halls, preparing for them to fill up with students.

Officer Greg Irwin has been the student resource officer at Chapman for about 4 years, joining the staff after being a patrol sergeant in Landrum. He’d be the first to tell you being a student resource officer is a much different job than being on patrol.

The biggest difference is “less enforcement, more prevention… being able to do more community policing,” Irwin said.

In his eyes making sure students are safe is the most important thing. He is on campus every day to ensure our protection and keep our school a safe place where we can come to learn.

Officer Irwin also plays a part in motivating students to make the right decisions and keep kids on the ideal path. Being the father of a little girl himself, he strives to help students be the best they can be.

“It’s like I have 935 sons and daughters,” Irwin said. He wants to see kids succeed; he even says that’s the most rewarding part of his job.

The uniform may be intimidating, but Officer Irwin is someone who is there to help in any way he can, and to him, “nothing’s too small.” Not only is he here to keep us safe, he’s here to be a resource for questions and to assist students.

From being a mentor to protecting us, Officer Irwin is an essential part of the Chapman staff, and his dedication to our safety is something we can’t overlook; it’s something to be commended.