Panthers work through winter break

Although many students completely forgot about anything school-related over winter break, our winter sports teams continued giving it their all and brought home many victories. Some teams had practices to prepare for the upcoming season, while other teams battled through tournaments.

The boys basketball team played in a tournament at Landrum High School and they took a trip to Gatlinburg, TN for another tournament. In Gatlinburg, the team won one game and lost the other two. At Landrum, the Panthers competed in the Battle of the Border tournament where they won three games and claimed the championship of the tournament.

The girls’ basketball team spent their time at practice almost daily, and competed in the Lowe’s Roundball Classic at Chesnee High School where they finished in fourth place.

“We lost our first game, but we came back to win the last two; our first wins of the season,” junior Stelly Musser said.

The wrestling team competed at the Wolverine Duals at Woodruff High School and the West Coast Invitational at West Oak High School.

At the Wolverine Duals, senior Brock Lance won all five matches. At the West Oak Invitational, freshman Saber Woodard placed third in his weight class, freshman Dei’Sean Pitts placed seventh in his weight class, sophomore Seth Tolman placed 8th in his weight class and Lance placed second in his weight class.  

Come out and support our winter sports teams as they continue their seasons. The girls’ basketball team has a game at Broome High School on Friday at 6:00 p.m., the boys basketball team will take on Broome at Broome High School on Friday 7:30 p.m. and the wrestling team has a match at TL Hanna High School on Saturday at 9 a.m.