Debate team competes in Ethics Bowl

On Saturday, Jan. 26, three Chapman students on the debate team competed against eleven area high schools in the S.C. High School Ethics Bowl at Wofford College.

Chapman’s debate team was started in January 2018 and is sponsored by English teacher Holly Hollifield. The three participants were seniors and Kam Sok and David Pearson and junior Thomas Bell.

“We created the debate team to make students think on their feet and develop critical thinking skills,” senior debate team member Kam Sok said. “It allows us to be more open-minded and make friends with different beliefs and ideas — our differences make it fun.”

Hollifield keeps the debate meets fun and relaxing, debating things all across the board, from ice-breakers like Coke vs. Pepsi, to more serious topics such as doctor-assisted suicide. However, when the team decided they wanted to take the next step, Hollifield helped them get there.

“You’re always creating arguments whether you realize it or not, with your teachers, parents, or even friends. Debate helps you learn how to speak in a logical way and support your arguments,” Hollifield said.

“We work hard to teach not to just argue, but how to portray an argument more effectively and develop critical thinking skills,” Sok said.

At the Ethics Bowl, the students were challenged to put these skills to the test and think deeper into issues facing today’s society, holding their own views while respecting others opinions.

“At the Ethics Bowl, we were asked about things such as fake followers, de-extinction, China’s social credit,” Sok said.

While they didn’t advance throughout rounds, they were able to get the experience and make new friends.

However, the debate team is much more than competitions and a college resume booster for Sok. It’s about inspiring those around him and future generations to come.

“I want this generation to be more free expressing their ideas and beliefs. You never know, expressing your beliefs can make change how other people think of things,” Sok said. “Be the person that you can count on, speak the truth and see the truth!”