COLLEGE KNOWLEDGE: College of Charleston

The College of Charleston is a public four-year sea grant, space grant and liberal arts college located in Charleston, South Carolina. It was founded in 1770, making it the oldest college in South Carolina.

Charleston offers many different studies with 61 majors and 78 minors. The college’s main campus in downtown Charleston includes 11 resident halls, 19 historic homes, five fraternity houses, nine sorority houses and contains a mix of historic and modern buildings.

The school offers 19 varsity sports that participate in the NCAA Division 1 Colonial Athletic Association and are known as the Cougars. Charleston’s athletics are supported by the Cougar Club, founded in 1974. During the 1970-71 school year, students voted to have their mascot changed to a cougar in honor of the cougar that just arrived at the Charles Towne zoo.

Charleston spans over 52 acres on the main campus. There are many other campuses around the state, including the Grice Marine Lab on James Island, the Patriots Point Athletic Complex in Mount Pleasant, the J. Stewart Walker Sailing Center, the North Campus in North Charleston and the 862-acre Dixie Plantation on the Stono River.

Senior Cassidy Bell plans to attend the College of Charleston and major in education.

“I love Charleston and its a liberal arts college with a lot of options,” Bell said.

There are over 10,000 undergraduates and 1,000 postgraduates students at College of Charleston. For 2018-19 school year the tuition for a resident was $12,418 and for nonresidents was $31,600.

If you are planning to attend the College of Charleston or want more information, you can visit their website at http://cofc.edu/