COLLEGE KNOWLEDGE: Charleston Southern University

Charleston Southern University is a four year, private Christian university located in North Charleston, South Carolina. With 45 majors to offer, CSU has a major for many fields of study for both undergraduate and graduate degrees.

Founded in 1964 as Baptist College, is a private university affiliated with the South Carolina Baptist Convention.

CSU offers 16 varsity Division I, with seven sports for men and nine for women. However, you don’t have to be a student-athlete to partake in sports on campus. With intramural sports held in both the fall and spring, there is a way to get involved on campus for everyone.

With an acceptance rate of 60 percent and an enrollment number of 3,600 students, CSU is a relatively small university.

The CSU mascot is the Buccaneers, Bucs for short, and came was chosen by students in 1965. CSU, Baptist College at the time, played its first basketball and students showed up with eye patches and earrings with signs that said “Buccaneers.” With most Christian universities, mascots are known to be Crusaders or Christians, and the students of CSU wanted variety.

CSU sits on 300 acres of land in North Charleston, and the land was formerly a rice and indigo plantation.

Senior Michaela Seifert plans to attend CSU in the fall and double major in graphic design and communications.

“I am excited about the people, the experience, and the beach! I also really enjoy historical downtown, and they hold a lot of exciting events there,” Seifert said,

In the 2018-2019 school year, tuition was $26,000 per year. Room and board averages to about $10,000 per year.

If you are a prospective student or want more information on CSU, you can visit their website.