COLLEGE KNOWLEDGE: Lander University

Lander University is a public university in Greenwood, South Carolina. With 22 majors and 20 minors, Lander offers a degree for both undergraduates and graduates.

Founded in 1872 as Williamston Female College, it remained a private college for 26 years. In 1904, the name was changed to Lander College and was relocated to Greenwood. However, Lander remained a female-only college until 1943, when the first male students were admitted.

Now as a public university, Lander offers 18 NCAA Division II teams with eight for boys and eight for girls. However, you don’t have to be a student-athlete to partake in sports on campus. With 27 intramural sports, there’s a way for everyone to be involved.

Lander has an acceptance rate of 62 percent and roughly 3,000 students, Lander is a relatively small university.

In 2018 U.S. News & World Reports Best College rankings Lander was ranked 16 in Regional colleges of the south, and 6th in Best College for veterans.

Notable alumni of Lander university include Mike Pitt, who is a member of the South Carolina House of Representatives, graduated in 1985. And Leon Lott, who is the Sheriff in Aiken County.

In the 2018-2019 school year, in-state tuition was $11,700 and out of state tuition was $21,300.