COLLEGE KNOWLEDGE: Costal Carolina University

Coastal Carolina University is a liberal arts college located in Conway, South Carolina. Coastal students are fortunate enough to have the opportunity to spend their time in the two cities depending on if they are more interested in the history that Conway has to offer, or the fun and relaxation offered by Myrtle Beach.

Coastal Carolina was founded in 1954, and it became an independent college in 1993. The school has since grown tremendously into a 633-acre campus. Coastal has a 60% acceptance rate and offers students a large variety of majors and minors. There are also over 180 different clubs and organizations offered for students to join.

The school also offers a wide range of both competitive and non-competitive sports including football, baseball, basketball, soccer, volleyball and quidditch. With several different news outlets including the school newspaper, a student-produced literary arts magazine and an online radio station, students are never left in the dark.

In the early 1960s, the school’s athletic teams were known as the Trojans, until an English professor and his students decided that the school needed a new mascot, thus the Chanticleer was born.

The current president of Coastal Carolina is David A. DeCenzo and under his leadership, the school has seen its largest and most ambitious construction plan in the school’s history.

The school has a $10,530 instate tuition, and $24,320 for out of state students. The school offers a wide range of scholarships to help out both instate and out of state students with their fees. For more information on Coastal Carolina University, visit their website here.