Yearbook staff works hard to produce quality product

Jacob Pryor

Josten’s yearbook representative Luke Samples works with sophomore Breanna Godfrey on the yearbook.

The pressure to get the yearbook out is a struggle with being present, being on time and meeting the standards of the student body.

Senior Editor Taylor Edwards feels that most of the challenge in creating the yearbook is in making individual students happy.

“We want to please everyone and that hard to do because we can’t. We try to cover everything that goes on in the school and sometimes we fail, but we try hard. We want the book to represent the events that happened this year,” Edwards said.

Introduction to Film teacher and yearbook adviser Alex Hollis feels that some of the problem is that students do not understand the process of printing the yearbook.

“A common misconception is that the yearbook is all printed at once; it is actually printed at quarter intervals throughout the year. Our final deadline is in the second week of March and if we don’t make that then we risk not getting the yearbook out by annual day,” Hollis said.

Hollis began the year nervous about the time after class creating a yearbook requires but is excited about the final product and is planning to continue for a second year.

“I feel like this year has been great, which is accredited to the staff. They made me feel like it’s not all on me and helped me learn that this isn’t just a one person job,” Hollis said.

Though Hollis accredits the yearbook success to the staff, Edwards feels like Hollis’ teaching method made the most productive environment in comparison to the previous advisors.

“(I’ve had one adviser who) was strict on our pages and deadlines and everyone had responsibilities. (I’ve had another who) was really laid back and the deadlines fell on us and we had to play catch-up. Hollis is in the middle of them. He really wants us to make a great book that the school will like. He makes everyone do work so it doesn’t fall back on the editors,” Edwards said.

If one person does not do what is required of them, not only does it reflect badly on the staff, but it also directly defaces the hard work Hollis and Edwards put into the yearbook.

“If we don’t finish the pages it shows that we didn’t work hard enough because when it’s all said and done it’s mine and Hollis’ name on it. We can’t blame it on an individual because either way it has to be done,” Edwards said. “(The yearbook) reflects my ideas and my hard work to make it. It shows my ideas in a book for the school to see.”

Hollis feels that the pressures associated with being on the yearbook staff are amplified on one day in particular.

“Because there is so much focus on the yearbook in one day, it’s easy for the student body to focus on the negative, but I want them to notice all of the things that the staff did right,” Hollis said. “I want students to remember that the yearbook is created by their peers. They’re students too, not professionals; they are still learning.”

Senior Tyler Brock suggests that all students are not expecting perfection, but that the yearbook has to represent Chapman students accurately.

“Everyone wants something different in the yearbook so I can see how it would be hard to make everyone happy. I think as long as the students at Chapman are all represented well, the yearbook staff has done their job,” Brock said.