Freshmen prepare for high-stakes EOCs for first time

When students enter high school, they are not new to exams in general, but they are new to End of Course (EOC) exams.

For freshmen, taking an EOC for the first time can be scary and intimidating.

Freshman Graci Lovett is fearful of failing because of what all is at stake if she were to.

“Any kind of testing I always get real nervous, Lovett said. “Knowing this is a big test, I am twice as nervous. Not nervous as in failing, but nervous as in knowing that my whole future depends on these test scores.”

EOCs are taken very seriously at Chapman and are something teachers and students spend a whole semester preparing for.

Lovett thinks that preparation for an EOC is very important.

“If you aren’t prepared, you won’t pass,” Lovett said. “You must be very prepared for the EOC because it is a big test and it determines your classes for next year and so on.”

Teachers at Chapman who teach freshmen, but also teach classes with an EOC not only spend a lot of time preparing their students for this important exam, but also prepare them in many ways.

“My teachers have assigned homework and class work that associates with what’s on the test,” said Lovett. “They tell us to study and give us the material that we need to know.”

Science teacher Fred Brown thinks that practice is a good way to prepare.

“My classes do practice questions leading into the day of the EOC,” Brown said.

English teacher Erin Gramling does many things to prepare her students for the EOC.

“The first thing I do is use MAP scores and other assessments to understand their strengths and weaknesses,” Gramling said. “I also go over test and study strategies.”

There are a lot a ways to help prepare you for an EOC.

“Study over several days, not just a couple of days,” Brown said. “Do practices before so you know what to expect. If there are sample problems, do them but don’t just do those. Do different problems as well instead of just repeating those few. Print online study guides and ask teachers for help. Do small study groups and try to teach someone else because if you can explain it to someone else, then it helps.”

“Make looking over classroom assignments a regular part of the day,” Gramling said.”Do not be afraid to communicate with the teacher with concerned and don’t be afraid to ask your teacher questions about your learning style. Studying must occur more than the night before. Use study strategies for your learning style. Go over it, make a question and then answer it and if you can’t, ask your teacher. Get a good night’s sleep and eat.”

Lovett thinks that studying a key to preparing herself to pass her EOC.

“To prepare for my first EOC, I’m going to study hard and ask questions on the things I don’t understand,” Lovett said.

Freshman Drew Vaughn and Jozi Schwartzbauer have already taken an EOC before and have some advice for freshman taking one for the first time.

“Read the questions or paragraphs carefully,” Vaughn said. “Take your time and do not rush through it.”

Vaughn also thinks listening can be a good study strategy before taking the test.

“Pay attention to every review you do in class,” Vaughn said.

Schwartzbauer thinks it is important to know what you’re going to be tested on.

“It is important to be fully prepared so you don’t panic while taking the test if you don’t know a question,” said Schwartzbauer.

Overall, Schwartzbauer thinks you’ll do great if you don’t worry.

“Do not panic because your teachers have prepared you to do great,” said Schwartzbauer.