Learning to live without my sister

This year will be different for me.  

Of course, it will different because it’s my junior year and I am going to experience a lot of new and different courses, but also because it’s my first year of high school without my sister.

College is a great thing but also a very hard transition, not only for the student but also for the student’s friends and family as well.

Growing up only two years apart, my sister and I have always been best friends.

She is the one I know I can always count on. We used to argue all of the time, but with age we learned how much we valued each other. She is someone I know will never turn their back on me.

On Saturday, Aug. 15, I had to say goodbye to my sister for the first time. I have never lived without her and I honestly still to this day don’t know how I am going to live without her.

Even though my sister is moving in a spectacular direction in her life, it is still hard to get used to. I am used to seeing her every single day, being able to talk to her at any time and always being able to go to her whenever I needed her.

Now that she is at Clemson, I won’t see her for weeks or months at a time, it is harder to talk to her because we have conflicting class schedules and I can’t go to her when I need her because obviously she isn’t here.

My sister was not the only one who left for school, obviously. Her friends — who I also considered friends — left, too.

On the night before we left for Tiger Town, we had to say our goodbyes to my sister’s best friend who has became like family to us. She is going all the way to Colorado for college and also has a sister who she is leaving behind.

They both agreed that leaving us while they go to college will be hard to get through and get used to. When you are used to having someone there for support and advice, even an hour apart can feel like a lifetime.

As we were talking about the new experiences and the wonderful chapter of their life that they are about to embark on, they both kept repeating, “I would do anything to go back to Chapman for another year.”

They kept saying to not take my days for granted because one day I will be where they are, going through what they are going through. They also said that they never expected to feel this way; they didn’t want to go anymore because of what they were going to have to leave behind. They wanted it to be a happy experience, but it was starting out as a heartbreaking one.

As a junior, there are some days when I wish my high school years away because it gets stressful and overwhelming, but as I do that, they are wishing they were in my place.

It really does make me think about how precious my time at Chapman is. Once these last two years are over, I have to go to college and it only gets harder from there.

Live every day to the fullest. Enjoy high school even when it gets hard. Time can’t be stopped or slowed down.

Next time when you are wishing school was over, remember that there are some away from home and away from their families wishing they were sitting in the desk you are sitting in.