The creative crisis

We’ve all either been there or will be there – looking at our schedules, jam-packed with core classes, and wondering “how am I supposed to get through this?”

Between the hefty amount of math homework, the science projects that keep us up late, and the summer reading that is at least a few hundred pages, it can be really hard to figure out when we’ll even sleep.

These classes by themselves aren’t a problem – core classes are crucial for growing knowledge and talents – but too many at once can wreak havoc on students’ personal lives.

Getting so many core classes in one year leaves an important question: Where do we find time for extracurriculars?

Homework is hard enough to do when we’re actually at home due to a lack of educational resources and teachers. When we’re actively participating in an afterschool program, we’re forced to multitask between getting homework done for core classes and taking part in the club.

This can harm students’ grades and their mental health.

Many times students will find themselves with two options: drop some core classes or drop some extracurriculars. It is problematic how many students choose the latter.

According to Nord Anglia Education School, extracurricular activities can build students’ creativity and mental health in ways that core classes cannot: “That [extracurricular] could be the basis of a hobby or passion that enriches their life for many years.”

Students harnessing their creative skills into something they enjoy doing can lead to a positive high school experience. Extracurriculars give students motivation to get through the school day; something to look forward to.

When students drop those activities, they can feel like they’re spending their high school years doing things that they don’t enjoy. Students will have a lack of positive motivation and somewhat of a creative crisis, where they have no outlet for ideas that don’t belong in the classroom.