The return of field trips

Field trips have been on the decline in all American schools since the start of the COVID-19 Pandemic. The good news is that field trips are now returning! Lots of students enjoy field trips, and studies show they are extremely beneficial. 

According to www.neamb.com children who attend field trips have better grades (59%) and higher graduation rates (95%).

Assistant Principal Matthew Davis speaks about the importance of field trips and believes they are a good way for students to apply what they are taught. 

Sometimes we learn the theories within the classroom but need to put them to practice outside of the classroom,” he said. “I am glad we are returning to ‘normal procedures’ in regards to field trips.

Students extremely enjoy field trips and a lot of times these trips create fond memories for students. Sometimes on these trips students learn valuable lessons and gain experiences they may not have had the opportunity to otherwise. 

Student Mackenzie Lyons reminisced on the past. 

“My most memorable (trip) would be when my fifth grade excel class went to the Biltmore House with the other fifth grade classes in the district,” she said.“Being able to learn, and experience things with some of my best friends, to this day is something I am so grateful for.”

Field trips are great extensions of the classroom experience. Unfortunately, challenges include lack of funding, lack of interest, or lack of time which can deter field trips. 

Davis acknowledges this but expresses his support for trips. 

“I am a big supporter of applicable field trips, most of the time it’s good to change routines to ‘keep students on their toes and to keep it new and exciting,” he said.