District One celebrates fitness with walking and hula hooping

Students, administrators and other members of the District One family gathered around the brand new Inman Intermediate school playground on Wednesday morning.

Thanks to the physical education teacher Philip Brannon, Inman Intermediate received a $25,000 grant from the Lids Foundation. The  2015 Lids Foundation and PFA Grant gives schools equipment especially for exercise.

“We work with communities to bring in funding, equipment, teacher training, curriculum and the resources schools need to actually get kids fit and foster a love of movement,” the Project Fit America website says.

On Wednesday morning, a ceremony was held to celebrate the winning and receiving of the exercise equipment. Inman Intermediate School Principal Karen Bush opened with a welcome and recognition of special guests from the Lids Foundation. After the welcome, the Chapman JROTC gave the Presentation of Colors and fifth grader Sara Bryant sang the National Anthem.

District One Superintendent Ronald Garner then gave some remarks.

“IIS is a model for our district in so many ways,” Garner said. “This new equipment is a Natural fit for IIS and its students.”

Cole Hedgepath, IIS Student Body President, spoke and thanked the Lids Foundation and Project Fit America.

Shortly after, Lids Regional Manager, Chuck Denham, gave some remarks.

“Be someone who stands up and stands out,” he said. He then helped cut the ribbon or “chain” created by the IIS students.

Brannon then explained how each new piece of equipment works and is used by the help of IIS students.

Chapman coach DJ Moore spoke and pumped the kids up by dancing.

After that, all principals and administrators were invited onto the playground to hula hoop. Chapman principal Ty Dawkins showed off his hula hooping skills; he was unable to do it the traditional way but was able to use it around his neck.

The senior athletes who participated in the event enjoyed it.

“The walk was tiring, but seeing the excitement from the kids was worth it,” senior tennis player Harrison Pruitt said.