Middle school students visit Chapman

Media+Specialist+Amy+Ballentine+discusses+the+media+center+and+its+offerings+with+eighth+graders+on+Feb.+9.+

Emery Pierce

Media Specialist Amy Ballentine discusses the media center and its offerings with eighth graders on Feb. 9.

Tuesday, Chapman students and faculty were visited by some soon-to-be-familiar faces. Eighth grade students from Mabry Middle School visited Chapman to see what was in store for them beginning next year.

The students were brought into the auditorium when they arrived and were given a speech by Principal Ty Dawkins telling them to get excited for high school.

He also told the students to not cruise through the last years of middle school and enjoy the time they are in school before being in the real world.

They were then shown performances from both the theatre program and the chorus program

After singing and performing the skits, the students  involved with the arts, all gave reasons why they enjoyed the arts and why the middle schoolers should join these programs when they come to Chapman.
After the arts department were done presenting, Athletic Director Greg Wilson came and told the students about the many sports programs offered at Chapman.

He acknowledged that many of the 8th graders in the auditorium participated in the sports and teams as JV players.

He then showed the school Lip Dub and told the students that sports help build people physically and mentally and encouraged students to participate in many activities.

The band then presented the students with information about the band program.

After the presentations were complete, the students were given a tour of the school by Chapman High School Student Council members.

They saw all aspects of the school from the classes to class change. They then were able to eat lunch in the cafeteria. When the tour was complete they returned to their buses and travelled back to Mabry.

“The visit helped ease the students anxiety of coming to Chapman and it also gets them excited for coming as well,” Assistant Principal Amy Walker said.