Crittendon makes transition from student teaching to teaching

When the school year started, Chapman gained many new students, but it also gained new teachers such as Caleb Crittendon. Crittendon joined the staff of Chapman after being a student teacher the past semester for Drew Timmons in his English class.

Crittendon has been connected with teaching since he was born.

“My mother was a teacher and my dad was a pastor I felt called to do a job where I could help people,” he said. “I wanted to coach and teaching seemed like a way to break into that job.”

Crittendon also said he was influenced to be a teacher by his high school english teacher.

Growing up the child of missionaries, Crittendon lived in Sri Lanka and went to an international school.

He attended North Greenville University and majored in secondary education and English Language Arts. During his senior year, he began student teaching at Chapman.

“It wasn’t my plan to stay at Chapman, but I connected with both students and teachers while student teaching,” Crittendon said.

So far Crittendon has been enjoying his new job sighting lesson planning as his least favorite part of the job but he loves connecting with the students.

The Chapman community has embraced Crittendon with open arms,

“He can relate to us and he makes the learning fun,” senior Kane Fisher said.

“Mr. Critters is someone who I not only think of as a teacher but also someone I work well with,” sophomore Emery Pierce said.

English Department Head Holly Hollifield thinks that Crittendon is a great addition to the department.

“He brings youth to the department, and most of the kids know him, and they are comfortable with him,,” Hollifield said.

Now that Crittendon is in District One, he hopes to stay here for the foreseeable future.

“I would hope I can stay here I love Chapman,” he said. “I’m satisfied with both the students and teachers.”