Chapman graduate Melvin returns home

Cassidy Bell

Chapman Virtual Lab Assistant William Melvin, Chapman class of 2009, works with a student.

Virtual Lab Assistant William Melvin is new to teaching but not new to Chapman.

He graduated from Chapman in 2009 and came back this year as part of the faculty.

“I wanted to come back home and be around my family more,” Melvin said. “I have a passion for teaching that I found while tutoring at a middle school in the South Bronx, so I wanted to bring this passion of teaching and learning back to my home community.”

Principal Ty Dawkins said that Melvin joining Chapman’s faculty just felt right.

“I felt like he was the best fit for that position at Chapman,” Dawkins said. “It’s always good for a student graduate to come back.”

Dawkins believes that Melvin possesses certain qualities and has specific abilities that make him who he is and will bring positivity to Chapman.

“I feel that he puts others above himself and he is extremely humble,” Dawkins said. “He has an ability to serve.”

What many don’t know is that after after graduating from Chapman, Melvin packed up and started a new chapter of his life in Ithaca, New York at Cornell University where he majored in Animal Science.

“I received some mail from ivy-league schools and I wasn’t confident that I would get into those schools, but I didn’t know as much about Cornell at the time, so I looked the school up and it had a beautiful campus and great programs, and I also saw that it was on the Common Application so I applied,” Melvin said.

Melvin’s has huge plans for his future and has dreams of pursuing two specific careers.

“I want to become a research scuba diver and then later become a science teacher,” he said.

With moving away and going to such a prestigious college, a lot of learning takes place, not just academically but in life.

“I learned how important time management is,” Melvin said. “Time management is one of the biggest skills you can have in the real world. It makes you more efficient to get more done.”

One of the things he wishes he could redo is certain parts of his freshman year.

“(If I could go back) I would have taken classes more seriously freshman year and made better grades,” Melvin said.

Melvin feels that letting your pride not get in your way is very important.

“(I would tell high school students) to not be prideful and really seek help when you need it, in regards to academics, athletics, and your personal life,” Melvin said. “Build relationships with teachers, school staff, and people in your community because one day you may need references from the people to apply for school or jobs.”

He looks at his college experience as something he is beyond thankful for.

“Getting into (Cornell University) was a blessing,” Melvin said. “Moral of the story: Don’t be scared to try.”