College Knowledge: Wofford College

Since 1854, Wofford College has been one of the most prestigious private colleges in the state of South Carolina.

“I was interested in Wofford because of the small classes and personal relationships with the professors,” Instructional Coach Drew Timmons said.

“When my mother and I toured Wofford, I was impressed with the size but also seeing a professor know the name of the tour guide and actually speak to him. It helped me finally decide on Wofford,” Timmons said.

The student to professor ratio at Wofford is 11:1 which allows for a very interpersonal relationship between the two groups.

At Wofford, students are able to choose from over 67 majors, minors and programs, and this allows for a variety of career paths that the students can go down.  “My major was English with a concentration in education and creative writing,” Timmons said.

“I was interested in Wofford because my uncle and my great-grandfather went there, and I would be considered a legacy,” Junior Sarah-Margaret Reid said. ”I really enjoy the environment that a private college gives off, and I really like Wofford because of it.”

“If I went to Wofford, I would want to major in English and minor in Psychology,” Reid said.

Wofford also has a varied amount of extracurriculars including sports, performing arts, fraternities and sororities.

“While at Wofford, I was a member of the newspaper, starting as a writer the first semester of my freshman year,” Timmons said, “and my second semester I became news editor, and the next three years I was editor of the newspaper.”

Wofford College has been a symbol in Spartanburg for over 163 years and it still stands to this day. The faculty, while small, helps students when they need help, and the school is nationally recognized for its strength in academic programs.

Now that students are looking at colleges, they can see just how golden Wofford is.