College Knowledge: USC Upstate

USC Upstate is a public university located in Spartanburg, SC. The school was founded in 1967 and is one of the four accredited four-year schools in the University of South Carolina system.

English teacher Alex Hollis graduated in 1999 and loves the small class sizes and close-knit atmosphere.

“I feel like I get to know all of the students and faculty due to the numbers being smaller than most colleges,” Hollis said.

The number of student enrollment is almost 6000, which is relatively small for a university. The plus side is that class sizes are small. Hollis said there were as few as six people in some of his classes.

USC Upstate seems to be a very popular school for students in our school because many students want to be close to home when they graduate, but Hollis also said that a full scholarship was the main reason he chose to go there.

He was able to live at home for the first couple of years at the school, something that helped him in the transition from high school. USC Upstate offers many different organizations and groups for students to be involved with.

For example, Hollis noted that he was a member of the orientation program that helped freshmen find their way around the school and learn about all the school has to offer.

In addition to its academic programs, the school also boasts a successful athletic program.

The Spartans Women’s Basketball team made it to the NCAA tournament in the 05’-06’ season under head coach Tammy George.

Hollis said that even though he graduated in 1999, the same principles apply today and many students in the area should always consider attending this school.