Mrs. Hall speaks up for public speaking

Public Speaking has been offered as an elective here at Chapman for a while, and for the past five years, English teacher Susan Hall has taught it.

Hall finds this class important because of the life skills it offers.

“Public speaking will prepare students in a less-threatening environment, and in smaller classes,” Hall said. “It will build their confidence in front of a crowd.”

Public Speaking is a great elective that two types of students should consider taking: those going to college and those going straight into the workforce.

Nearly every college will require you to take public speaking. Taking this class in high school is a great way to prepare for that.

Hall covers narrative, informative, demonstrative, debate and persuasive public speaking techniques.

Speaking in front of crowds is also an important skill in nearly every job. “So many occupations require public speaking,” Hall said. “Anything you might have to do in the business world, we try to simulate that here.”

Students considering taking this class next spring semester should know what to expect. “I come in the first day and I may have a full class. After lunch, I might have half a class,” Hall says. “Students need to realize that taking public speaking means you’re going to get up in front of a class and speak.”

Hall also commented on how teaching this class has improved her own public speaking skills. “Public speaking can be kind of scary. I enjoy it, but when it’s time to present to peers, I can get a little nervous. You worry about being judged or looking stupid. Teaching this class has made me more aware of my own habits in front of a crowd. It’s definitely helped me speak in public.”