Spring sports pep rally excites students with sumo and dancing

Science+teacher+Tina+Gragg+takes+on+English+teacher+Alex+Hollis+in+a+sumo+wrestling+Battle+of+the+Sexes+at+the+pep+rally+on+April+16.+

Reagan Pierce

Science teacher Tina Gragg takes on English teacher Alex Hollis in a sumo wrestling Battle of the Sexes at the pep rally on April 16.

The Chapman High School spring pep rally was a huge success, giving the students the motivation they need to power through the final six weeks of school.

Starting at 10:15 a.m. on Thursday, the rally got started by recognizing all region and all state students in band, tennis, football, basketball and volleyball to name a few.

The Wendy’s Heisman award winners were also announced, with Tori Smith winning the female award and Carter Wells winning the male award.

Following that, the highly anticipated teacher vs. teacher sumo wrestling matches began. Coach Robert Gray defeated Coach Leslie Landrum in just over a minute, with the crowd cheering the entire time.

Between matches students participating in spring sports were individually recognized. They included boy’s and girl’s soccer, baseball, softball, track and field, boys tennis and boys golf.

The second wrestling match was possibly the most interesting, with Beth Morin taking on a mysterious man in a Captain America mask. After a minute, Captain America – actually driver’s education teacher Kevin Carr – was knocked out cold and had to be carried out on a stretcher.

The other three wrestling matches were all entertaining, with the final match being a brawl between Coach Steven Fusaro and Coach Grey Ramsey.

Afterward, what may have been the most anticipated event of the morning began: the student dance competition.

Judged by Fred Brown, Amy Driggers and Jennifer Telleri, seven students participated in the contest.

Each competitor was allotted 45 seconds to dance to a song of their choice. While early dances were very promising, reigning champion junior Jaylen Landrum turned heads when he took the floor.

Following him, the first group in the history of the competition, Five Salts and a Pepper, began their routine. A great performance boosted them into the final showdown with Landrum.

In the finals, each competitor was given thirty seconds to dance to a random song. Five Salts and a Pepper had bad luck and found themselves dancing to a slow country piece, while Landrum busted moves to a very exiting hip-hop song.

The judges soon awarded Landrum his second straight title and $100 as prize money, with $50 being allotted to Five Salts and a Pepper for finishing second place.

The pep rally was wrapped up with one final Spirit Stick challenge. Competition was stiff, but the sophomores came out of top.

“I really had fun,” said freshman Brett Willard. “That really gave the students the motivation they needed to power through the remainder of the school year, and it’s a shame we can’t do it again.”