Chapman cross country runs for Mr. Pierce

Ricky Pace

Freshman, Chandler Pierce at the SCA cross country meet

Growing up and going to school in a small town, everyone connects with each other. Teachers and students make deep, personal connections in their learning environments.

This year, the Inman community suffered a major loss when fifth-grade math teacher Jeff Pierce was killed by a distracted driver while bicycling.

It came as a shock to the entire community and hurt the students that had established a connection deeper than teacher and student. Pierce was an outgoing, positive member of our community, and his loss was not looked over.

One thing that everyone knew about Pierce was his love for the Lord and sharing that at Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) at the intermediate school.

In order to honor him, Spartanburg Christian Academy organized a fundraiser for FCA.

The money we raised went to the Inman Intermediate FCA club,”  Chapman cross country coach Rachael Edwards said. “They will buy Bibles for the students who have enough service hours when they ‘graduate’ from the Intermediate School.”

This was an important race for one person in particular. Chandler, Pierce’s son, got the chance to run alongside his teammates in honor of his dad.

“He would’ve enjoyed that,” Chandler said. “I did the best I could because that’s what he would’ve wanted me to do. He loved FCA, and he would be happy we were carrying on his memory with it.”

Edwards said that the teams and donors went above and beyond.

“There were 23 teams there and almost 500 runners,” Edwards said. Chapman’s goal was to raise $300, but they actually raised $420. Overall, the event raised $1,000.

Edwards said the cross country team has become closer as they continue to deal with this tragedy.

I think the kids have been looking out for each other more and are more kind to each other,” Edwards said. “Chandler wasn’t on the Cross Country team last year, and I for one am glad he’s back even after his dad passed.

Chandler said that running has been a good way to cope with his loss.

“Running keeps me occupied and away from thinking about it all the time,” Chandler said. “It keeps me uplifted and feeling good every day.”